Deck and Porch Collapse Injuries in Massachusetts
Spending time outdoors can be a fabulous way to enjoy company and get a breath of fresh air, and there’s often no better way to do both than to rendezvous on a deck or porch. While enjoying some quiet time on a porch or socializing on a deck is usually a perfectly safe thing to do, failure to properly construct or maintain these structures can lead to serious accidents. If you or a loved one has been involved in a deck or porch accident in our state, our experienced personal injury lawyer at the office of Tetzel Law can help. Reach out to our law firm directly today to learn more about your legal options and start building your case.
Injuries from a Deck and Porch Collapse
A deck or porch collapse can lead to devastating harm, including fatal injuries in some cases. If you are standing on or under a deck or porch when it collapses, potential injuries include:
- Head, neck, and brain injuries, including a traumatic brain injury
- Back injuries, including a spinal cord injury
- Limb amputation injuries
- Contusions and lacerations
- Internal injuries, including internal bleeding
- Bone fracture injuries
- Crushed limb injuries
- Puncture injuries
In addition to the various physical injuries that are possible, a person who is involved in a porch or deck injury may also suffer psychological injuries as a result of the trauma.
Liability for a Deck and Porch Collapse Accident
Determining liability—legal responsibility—for a deck collapse injury begins with pinpointing the precise cause of the collapse. Some of the potential causes of a deck or porch collapse accident include faulty construction, failure to adhere to building codes, poor maintenance, failure to warn of hazardous conditions, or material failures/defects (i.e. wood rotting). The party who is liable for the accident will depend on the party who was responsible for ensuring that the deck was safe. In many cases, this may be a property owner who failed to perform proper maintenance and upkeep on the deck or porch; in other cases, it may be a builder or contractor who breached their legal responsibility by failing to build something to code or ensure that work was performed up to standard.
Legal Actions to Take After Being Injured in a Deck and Porch Collapse Accident
If you are involved in a deck or porch accident, taking the following actions can help protect your legal rights—
- Get medical care. Getting medical care immediately is essential. Make sure all care is documented.
- Document everything. In addition to documenting medical care, you should record everything you can about the accident and take photos of the accident scene and your injuries if possible.
- Give notice to the property owner. If you are not the owner of the property where the accident occurred, you need to give notice to the property owner and their property insurance company as soon as possible.
- Call an attorney. The sooner that you contact an attorney, the sooner your attorney can start working on your case strategy.
Reach Out to Tetzel Law Today
At the office of Tetzel Law, our experienced Massachusetts personal injury lawyer is here to advocate for you when you’ve been harmed in a deck or porch collapse accident. For your free consultation where you can learn about your legal options, call our office directly at (617) 742-1700 or send us a message online at your convenience.